NAWF Scholarship and Grant Awards ~ Welsh Students
2023 Lloyd Jones Award at Bangor University
- Lois Williams ~ "In addition to excelling in her individual endeavours, Lois actively hones her leadership and motivational skills through various team projects, showcasing her capability to guide and inspire others. "
- Daniel Roberts ~ "As a designer, Daniel possesses remarkable competence and a clear vision of his own path, which revolves around establishing sustainable businesses rootd in Anglesey."
2022 Lloyd Jones Award for Young Entrepreneurs
- Elinor Jones ~ Elinor studied at Abbey Gate Collage in Chester. She is passionate about building design and sustainability and has been influenced by programmers such as Grand Designs and George Clarke’s Amazing Spaces. The lockdown offered Elinor time to think about her future. She invested in a shipping container and refurbished it into a summer house. As part of the family business Flintshire Fabrications, she generated her first “proper” sale of a shipping container converted into a summer house. This experience inspired her major design project, to set-up her own company “Hubbox” that designs and manufactures prefabricated, flat pack and modular garden rooms with a clear focus on sustainability. The future plan is to grow “Hubbox” into an independentarm of the family business to become a strong competitor on a commercial level as demand for housing, hospitals and schools grows rapidly.
- Ben Lewis ~ Ben came to study Product Design in Bangor University following his studies in Ysgol Glan Clwyd and Deeside Sixth College. During his third year, in addition to his major design project, Ben along with his fellow Product Design student, Dan Barry set-up a start-up business called UTILITY, founded out of hatred of rubbish products. To combat this, UTILITY takes everyday products back to basics and redesigns them properly. Having been successful in accessing support from Business Wales Accelerated Growth Program, the company has already manufactured its first product and engaged with customers in a beta test.
Lloyd Jones Scholarship at Bangor University 2021
- Bridie Dimelow – Penley, Wrexham, Wales, partnered successfully with a local metal fabrication company, AWR Engineering, to produce and supply her product and is in the process of designing further products which are going to improve the welfare of horses during transportation.
- Ciron Hywel – Llanrug, Gwynedd, Wales, secured a post as a design engineer with The Fifth Wheel company in North Wales that will pay his fees at Bangor University while he studies part-time for a postgraduate MSc in Applied Innovation Design. He hopes that the product he has initiated will be adopted by the company for further development.
Lloyd Jones Scholarships at Bangor 2020
Gail Patrick Bursary 2019
- Amelia Williams of Llanelli, West Wales, received a bursary to support her study of acting at California State Fullerton. A student at Wales Trinity St David's she is the first member of her family to study at University and, having been accepted to study for a semester in California, was nervous of the financial commitment of living so far from home. She said the bursary made all the difference. The Wales Board was impressed by her application describing her as "exactly the sort of student we wish to support". A passionate advocate for Wales and the Welsh language, Amelia was intent on sharing her language with fellow students.
Lloyd Jones Scholarships at Bangor 2019
- Steffan Jones achieved first class honours and has based his research projects around environmentally friendly products. Steffan developed the “Hybrid Range” of furniture which offers a recyclable solution for the future of the upholstery furniture industry to mitigate the 750,000 tonnes of materials discarded every year.
- Phoebe Sinnot also gained first class honours. She concentrated on reducing packaging at fast food outlets by introducing environmentally friendly alternatives to reduce plastic use and increasing recycling
Gail Patrick Bursary 2018
Lloyd Jones Scholarships at Bangor University 2018
Gail Patrick Bursary 2017
Lloyd Jones Scholarships 2016
- The 2016 recipients of the Lloyd Jones Scholarship are Rhiannon Haf Quirk and Richard Gabriel Noakes. The scholarship recognizes the entrepreneurial accomplishments of graduates of Bangor University, North Wales. Rhiannon designs and manufactures soft toys and decorative furnishings for her proposed on-line business. Meanwhile, Richard designed and manufactured a prototype camera system to increase visibility for tractor drivers reversing attached trailers on farms in mid-Wales. Rhiannon and Richard graduated from Bangor in 2016 with a B.Sc. in product design.
Gail Patrick Bursary 2010